Saturday, April 22, 2006

todays miracle

so i am safely installed in a hostel in windhoek. very strange to have left all my stuff (minus some valuables in a locker) in the hands of strangers but there we are.. but i jump ahead of myself. let me tell you about my day. well i woke up with the same sore throat i've had for a few days but this time thought i would investigate in the mirror as to whats happening and discovered a hideous infected lump of something nasty at the back of my mouth. so being the sensible girl i am i gave it a good prod, made it bleed and then spend the next while swallowing blood and other grimness. so consequently i threw up this morning. i mean i really don't like being sick, this was not a good start to my day of travel.
so stopped at a pharmacy on the way to the airport and it would seem that there is more reason for hating my malaria medication dioxycycline. apart from adding to my sunburn it also is an antibiotic which may sound like a good thing but if you take an antibiotic for long enough you kill off the good bacteria as well as the bad bacteria. so they reckon i have a fungal infection in my mouth and have prescribed a throat spray and some intestinal bacteria that come in a pill so i can start re-stocking my supply of bacteria thats been killed off! how funny is that. so i guess at least i know i will be ok but it meant i spent the flight trying not to be sick and was generally less than happy.
well then at windhoek airport i was asking about buses at the information desk and some nice guy comes up to offer me a lift. he seemed nice enough so i thought it sounded. well we're waiting for the guy he has come to pick up and chatting and it turns out i've heard all about him as he works for OM the same organisation that thelma works for who i've just been staying with?! i could not believe it. how ridiculously good is my life?! so i got a lift into town, got a lift to the other woman he works with who has taken in a bag of spare stuff i don't need that i can collect on my way out, then taken to my hostel. i have phone nos galore and the offer of a place to stay a bit north of town if i fancy it... its just too much, this is too easy! i am chuffed to bits, its been a fantastic finish to what had seemed like a bad day.
so i'm in windhoek for at least a couple of days until i can organise myself some tours when the office opens monday. a guy just arrived into my dorm 5 minutes after me fresh from the desert dunes.. i am pretty excited!!

No comments: