Monday, April 10, 2006

memories of mocuba

ok well this is a self-indulgent opportunity to write down my memories from mozambique... bear with me!

i loved
walking everywhere, colourful geckos scampering across walls, beautiful harmonies sung with such joy, the beating rhythm as women crush maize, coconut palms against blue sky, lightning flashing like i'd never seen before, the reply of 'Gracas a Deus' - 'by the grace of God' if asked how they are as health is not taken for granted, being in the congregation not a white preacher at the front, always meeting a friend when in town despite only having about 10 friends, deafening rain on corrugated roof, running on the beach, raosted peanuts in sugar, pumpkin leaves, hearing mozambiquan laughter, walking with Hannah on my back - especially when people thought she was my child?!

i didn't love
awkward conversations about money, not understanding portuguese, constant attempts to rip me off, visiting sick people closer to death than i had seen before, horrific statistics about AIDS, ants in condensed milk, mosquitos, white bread, itching, lack of vegetables, sore inner thighs from sweaty skin rubbing together as i walked, the lack of good jobs for such talented people, ill-treated dogs with bones showing and ticks everywhere, long sermons i didn't understand whilst sitting in a very small very hot very unconfortable church, leaving.

becky very kindly sent me off with a card with some of psalm 121 written on it. one line says 'the sun will not harm you by day' and i had to laugh as sadly my skin has suffered a bit under the sun. but another line says ' the Lord will watch over your life' and i am so grateful that i have felt so safe and looked after. the best example of this is my first and my last night, both times just after the sun had set so it had just got dark. both times walking on my own not sure where i was going, in fact on my last night definitely lost. both times being met in the middle of nowhere by a friend who shouldn't even have really been in the same place at that time. both times just knowing such relief and amazement and gratitude that i had been found.

mozambique has definitely brought out the best in me, i have seen a new side to me - a woman of gentleness, joy, compassion and love. i hope this side of me remains out in the open for a very long time.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey hans thought I'd just leave a quick post to say I'm back in Brighton and will write properly soon. Good to catch up on your news though. lots of love xx

Anonymous said...

Hi Hannah

It's great following in your footsteps. We feel really close to you. Thanks so much for your letter. We continue to think of you and pray for you as you head off for Namibia. You were especially in our thoughts Easter Sunday - Steve's baptism, reflections on resurrection, feasting on God's abundance, new life breaking out. The only thing missing was you!
Much love
A&A

Anonymous said...

Hi quality mate, you are a real inspiration as always. I really love your poetry and the descriptions of your amazing journey. I am so sad that you will not be able to share in our wedding, August 25th if you were fancying a quick trip home!! We will drink a toast to you and enjoy a photo swap when you return. Lots of Love Helen and Dave