Sunday, September 10, 2006

sunday mornings



thought i would tell you about my sunday morning routine as a few of you have been asking about what i'm doing church wise. i am going along to a church some sunday evenings, the place where matt + fi got married but they no longer got to church there. its ok, just nice to get out and see some faces and i do like to get in a bit of singing. but considering that until a year or so ago i had been at church most sunday mornings for my whole life, it surprisingly doesn't seem so strange to be doing something different.
so what i am now up to on sunday mornings is i drive with matt + fi to where their church is and walk 10 minutes around the corner to sit on the beach. i can't today becuase its raining but when the sun is shining i take a book, my journal, my sunglasses and sit. with each week its getting busier as we're moving out of winter here, but its still easy to get a space on my own looking out onto beauty, hearing the soothing sound of waves and feeling soft sand between by toes. i do a bit of people-watching - surfers and other keen sporty types running and swimming.. but otherwise i take the time to rest, to pray, to scribble in my journal and to read whatever inspirational book i'm currently into. this spot in my week always proves to be a time of such refreshing, a chance to make space in my thoughts, to renew a sense of peace within me, to sit back and get some perspective.
i've been taking time to write a prayer that i am now trying to memorise that will be my daily prayer. it was a suggestion from the 'eternal echoes' book i have mentionned before. it won't interest all of you but i wanted to share it anyway because this is why i enjoy being on a beach praying alone:

Lord of my heart
my shelter, my refreshing, my hope
Come, shine your light and show your tender mercy
Open my eyes to newness and joy
Fill my gaze with the unseen
Be in my quiet centre.
Help me in my anxiety, impatience and citicisms.
Lead me in generosity, understanding and gentleness.
Reveal the secrets of my heart and my most precious gifts.
Take me beyond my imagination.
Awaken my beauty and my courage as i choose to trust and journey with you, excited by the unknown and the mystery, always sure of your goodness.
You are the way to freedom and you beckon me forward on it, calling me by name, holding me fast on it, watching over me.
You are my constant companion.
May i know your healing balm for my hurts, your warm comfort in my sorrow.
May i know the eternal embrace of your loving circle.
You are the truth i partly see
You bring the unexpected to my future
You are where i belong.
I wait for you, in you, with you.
True Giver of Life
I celebrate the wonders of being a pilgrim with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I found you site by following the eternal echoes post.Now it seems we have something else in common wwe worship at the beach.granted very different beaches.Have you read Anam Cara by the same author.I am fortunate I have a soul friend who helps me on my spiritual journey.

I like your blog it takes me away from where I am.