Saturday, September 02, 2006

halfway point


so yesterday was my halfway mark. 6 months in and 6 months to go. so for all of you who are asking me when i'll be back, its not for a while yet even though it does feel like i have been away ages.
thought i was due for a little review, and a look back over the blog so far to remind me:
i have lacked a bit of common sense from time to time (desert in namibia being a key example!)
i haven't missed brighton as a place but i do miss cycling everywhere, i do miss trapeze with mandi and i have noticed that its been far too long since i was last on a dancefloor. but the food in sydney pretty much beats brighton everytime so thats a result
i do miss my granny (she doesn't answer her phone and only gets mail that is read to her) but other worries about lack of home comforts, lack of money, getting ill.. just haven't been a worry really.
i couldn't say i have learnt a lot about forgiveness yet, but i think i have learnt about generosity - sadly more by example than practice. i like to think i have been a blessing to those i've visited but i guess thats not always been the case, and i have certainly received far more blessing than i have given. i definitely couldn't say i have got any clarity about my future but i do have moments where my thoughts open up to new possibilities quite gently. its not clarity really, more a letting in of light through new doors in my mind.
the journey of my faith so far has been the most exciting part. i have felt led along my way and i am discovering a lot about trust, simplicity and love. i really enjoy being a pilgrim for all its joys and sorrows. the greatest sorrow for me has been in the loneliness, so i am still trying to learn that i am not alone really - thanks to the one who journeys with me and thanks to the continued love and support from loads of you across a distance.
top highlight so far is definitely the nieces, closely followed by Hannah in Moz. Dunes are a close third place.. so predictions for those were pretty spot on. Isabella had just joined me at the computer playing around with whatever was to hand and then every 30 seconds or so leaning over to me for a kiss! we are definitely good friends these days and it is such a delight.
i guess the big surprise for me has been how much my parents mean to me. its been really hard saying goodbye this week and being around the same places without them here anymore. over the last few years i have often thought maybe its not quite right to still rely on my parents so much when i'm nearing 30. they are still my main support in life, my greatest source of love and encouragement, my backing in whatever way i need, and probably the people that understand me best. i hope they will always be a huge part of my life, but i can't help noting that it would probably be different if i wasn't single. still, as i am, i am so grateful to have their love and to have someone who knows how i am really doing throughout this year. but it is a shock to see how difficult it is being so far from them.
i always knew missing people would be the worst part but i didn't realise what a huge difference it makes being away from everyone. this year is certainly turning out to be like no other year of my life. at times it has been the best ever and at times one of the more difficult. but i have absolutely no regrets, i am so glad to have this time and am so excited to see whats next.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Alas my dancing shoes are also dusty I dread to think of the state they'll be in in another 6 months! I wish I could come up with a clever line to make the lows not seem so low. The beauty you've seen is amazing though - that tree wow!! lots of love XX