Friday, November 03, 2006

no pain no gain


well i have a new understanding of this phrase. my feet did begin to give me serious trouble on this next tramp in abel tasman park. but it was so definitely worth it. each corner i would stumble across yet another beautiful deserted bay that seemed like a secret just waiting for me to find. the views were amazing, i loved it - see some of the sights on my photos link. again there is something about exploring a place on my own two feet which i just love, even if those feet are in agony.
as well as the gain from being in such beauty, i also realised that for one who likes a physical challenge i rarely get close to my physical limitations and this time i really did. then when you know you have managed to do something near to your maximum capability, you get a much bigger sense of achievement. basically the simple rule has only just been grasped by me - that something has to be difficult for you to be proud of doing it. i now have a very self-satisfied smug on my face!
this second tramp turned out to be flip flop disaster number 2 (number 1 occurred in the Namib desert if you missed that bit). basically i was forced to walk the second day in my flip flops thanks to major heat rash on both ankles, continued trouble with blisters and a darkening purple toenail.... i wouldn't recommend walking on rocky muddy ground with a heavy backpack for approx 16 kms in flip flops, but i managed it and it was preferable to putting my feet back into boots.
so i am now a much more experienced tramper and hope to get in some more practice before i leave this country. for now its feet up resting back at mark & nikki's lovely place.

No comments: