Sunday, October 15, 2006

working days are numbered (for 06 anyway)



only 5 more days to go until March 07! that does feel pretty good. although the poverty that may result from this is not so great! i will leave work with around £1,500 - which considering i was meant to save enough to get me round 4 months of travelling, seems a little pathetic. but hey. dad has kindly offered to bail me out with a loan if need be...
but i am glad to say working has been more than just about saving cash. its been great to enjoy working with a diverse bunch of people in an office that has held my interest for various reasons. some of those would be the various eccentricities around me, the novelty of A0 plans, my constant drive to improve efficiency (no, i wasn't successful), the delight of morning tea breaks, the sunny lunchtimes, the insights into aussie life and into ways of managing people and work... i have made some good friends and will definitely miss the people, but not the work.
mostly i have been copying plans, folding plans, sorting plans, hanging plans, archiving plans, saving emails, putting file codes on emails, logging emails, printing emails, sorting emails and filing emails. enough to send me nearly mad on more than one occasion. but proof that for me work is much more about the people and the context than the tasks and more about what interests my mind as i work than what i actually have to think about to do the work. no, i don't think my future career should be as a filing clerk, but i think the people i work with will always be more important than my actual role.
so, i will be happy to leave the bewilderingly inefficient world of filing project work, but i will be sad to leave these people and sad to be one step closer to understanding myself but no steps closer to knowing what work i want to do next.
and i will miss folding large sheets of paper - it is very therapeutic.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't know you were in to Origami?